These unspeakable crimes have shocked and sickened staff across the NHS, just as they have the entire nation. These acts were a profound betrayal of patient trust, and we appreciate how distressed and concerned this can leave people feeling.
The Department of Health and Social Care has announced that there will be an independent, non-statutory inquiry into the events at the Countess of Chester Hospital NHS Foundation Trust.
Although these appalling crimes were the actions of a single individual, this case is a stark reminder of how important it is that the NHS listens carefully to the concerns of patients, families and staff.
We want everyone to feel safe and confident to speak up. If you have any questions or concerns about the care we are providing or you need to raise a safety concern at Doncaster and Bassetlaw Teaching Hospitals (DBTH), please contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service, here.
We also understand that it is vital that colleagues within the Trust feel similarly empowered to raise concerns, and we have outlined a comprehensive network of support to ensure no voice goes unheard – this includes:
- Line Managers and Supervisors: Colleagues’ immediate line managers are there to listen and address concerns.
- Senior Independent Director (SID): Named at the Trust as Mark Day, who can be contacted directly.
- Board of the Directors: Made up of 15 individuals, the Directors can be contacted to raise concerns, who will then escalate further.
- Council of Governors: Made up of 35 nominated individuals who are voted into their position via our 16,000 members for a fixed-term.
- Speak Up Guardian and Champions: Our dedicated guardian and champions are available to provide guidance and support throughout the process.
- Tutors or Education Leads: For those in educational roles, your tutors and education leads are ready to assist.
- Quality Improvement and Governance Teams: Our teams focused on quality improvement and governance are here to ensure best practices are upheld.
- Health and Wellbeing Team: Colleagues’ overall wellbeing matters to us, and we have resources in place to support you.
- NHS Fraud: To combat any fraudulent activities, our team is prepared to take action.
- People & OD Team: People Business Partnering team is here to address any HR-related concerns.
- Guardian for Safe Working: Ensuring a safe work environment is a top priority for us.
- Trade Union: Colleagues who are part of a trade union can elscelate concerns to their representatives, who can offer guidance and advocacy.
- EDI Team: Our Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion team is committed to promoting a diverse and respectful workplace.
- Professional Nurse Advocate (PNA) or Professional Midwifery Advocate (PMA): Advocates specialised in nursing and midwifery concerns are available.
- Patient Safety and Safeguarding Teams: The safety of our patients is paramount, and this team is focused on maintaining that safety.
- Medical Director Team: Our medical directors are here to address clinical concerns.
- Health and Safety Team: Ensuring the wellbeing of our colleagues and patients is a shared responsibility.