- Salary: Apprenticeship
- Contract: 15 months
- Hours: Full-time – 37.5 hours per week
- Site: Doncaster Royal Infirmary
- Closing date: 19 November
- Apply here
An exciting opportunity for enthusiastic individuals to start a career in healthcare science, working in the Cardio-Respiratory Department across Doncaster Royal Infirmary and Mexborough Hospitals. The successful applicant will be trained to perform routine and urgent Cardio-Respiratory procedures.
A minimum of three GCSE’s or equivalent at grade 4 or above (grade C or above) are essential, including English Language, Maths and a Science subject. The post is full-time and therefore if you are in full time education you will not be able to apply.
Main duties of the job
To assist Cardio-Respiratory clinical staff in performing and recording various cardiac and respiratory investigations, on routine and emergency outpatients and inpatients within all areas of the hospital.
To work as a member of the team with direction and supervision from clinical physiologists and assistant staff, whilst undertaking a 14 month training programme to include a level 2 Diploma in Healthcare Science.
Candidates will need to be available for a January 2022 start. The post does not guarantee permanent employment, however on successful completion of the Apprenticeship, the qualifications, experience and skills gained provide an opportunity to apply for and/ or progress to substantive roles.
Working for our organisation
The Cardio-Respiratory Department is a progressive, forward thinking team and the candidate will have the opportunity to be involved in the shaping and delivery of the service. We aspire to create an outstanding service, able to support individual staff needs.
Doncaster and Bassetlaw Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is one of Yorkshire’s leading acute Trusts, serving a population of more than 420,000 across South Yorkshire, North Nottinghamshire and the surrounding areas. Cardio-Respiratory services are undertaken at Doncaster, Bassetlaw and Mexborough sites.
Doncaster is conveniently situated with excellent access to motorways and rail, close to national parks, major cities and the coast.
There will be an expectation to travel across Doncaster Royal Infirmary and Mexborough Hospital sites in order to fulfil training requirements . Working hours will be subject to review as the service develops, therefore a flexible approach is essential.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
To be trained in:
- Recording adult and paediatric electrocardiograms.
- Recording adult and paediatric spirometry.
- Issuing ambulatory ECG & BP monitors
- Downloading ambulatory ECG & BP monitors in readiness for analysis
- Issuing pulse oximeters
- Downloading pulse oximeters
- Maintaining all equipment used to a clean and serviceable standard, reporting faults where necessary
- Restocking of clinical rooms
- Chaperoning patients
- Escorting patients to other areas
EDUCATION & TRAINING
- To undertake a level 2 Diploma in Healthcare Science
- To undertake mandatory basic life support training
- To undertake mandatory moving and handling training
- To develop IT skills and undertake training courses as required, in line with Trust developments.
- Handling telephone queries
- Input and retrieval of patient information using the CVIS Cardiology Information System
- Use of the PAS system to search for patients
- Filing test reports
- Distribution of test reports to appropriate staff
- 3 GCSE passes (grade 4/C or above) or equivalent to include Maths, English Language and a Science (score 1 for each)
- Demonstrates good understanding of Healthcare Science/good career focus (from supporting information)
- Healthcare experience (volunteer, Work experience, personal experience).
- Conveys written information clearly and accurately
- Evidence of basic IT skills