Tier 3 Weight Management Patient Portal
If you have already been referred to the Tier 3 Service and have your log in then click here to access the patient portal.
About Our Service
We are a friendly team of health care professionals who work together to support individuals who would like to lose weight and access bariatric surgery (where appropriate).
We use a person centred approach to set personalised goals and identify the barriers for the individual to get through to make positive health care changes and be prepared physically and mentally to go through the bariatric surgical procedure. We work alongside our colleagues in the Tier 4 Bariatric Surgery team.
We offer 12 months of support with regular one to one individual appointments with a dietitian, nutritionist and dietetic assistants, alongside work with a cognitive behaviour therapist, physiotherapist and therapy assistant led group education and activity sessions where required.
Who can access the service?
The service is available to individuals who:
- Have a BMI over 35 with another health condition that can be improved with weight-loss such as Type 2 Diabetes, sleep apnoea or high blood pressure
- Have a BMI over 40 with no other health conditions
- Are over 18 years old
- Are a resident in the Doncaster or Bassetlaw areas and/or have a Doncaster or Bassetlaw registered GP
- Are able to commit to a 12 month programme
- It is also the service for individuals who would like to consider weight loss (bariatric surgery) and are considered appropriate for weight loss (bariatric surgery) by their GP or consultant.
Please note: it is a requirement of our Doncaster Tier 3 service that you are considering weight loss surgery (bariatric surgery) to be able to enter the service.
What do our patients say?
‘Very clear advice & put me at ease’
‘Really helpful and understanding, So happy, thank you!’
‘Thoroughly pleased that (therapist) has supported me to make the first steps to improving my wellbeing which has resulted in a real positive relationship with food!’
‘All options given, feel supported’
‘Very friendly and full of information’
How to access our service?
If you are considering bariatric surgery and would like to talk to someone about it further contact your GP practice to discuss a referral to the service. For further information contact;
Department Nutrition & Dietetics
Doncaster Royal Infirmary
What is weight loss (bariatric) surgery?
Weight loss surgery, also called bariatric or metabolic surgery, is sometimes used as a treatment for people who are very obese. It can lead to significant weight loss and help improve many obesity-related conditions, such as type 2 diabetes or high blood pressure. But it’s a major operation and in most cases should only be considered after trying to lose weight through a healthy diet and exercise.
Weight loss surgery is available on the NHS for people who meet certain criteria.
- you have a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or more, or a BMI between 35 and 40 and an obesity-related condition that might improve if you lost weight (such as type 2 diabetes or high blood pressure)
- you’ve tried all other weight loss methods, such as dieting and exercise, but have struggled to lose weight or keep it off
- you agree to long-term follow-up after surgery – such as making healthy lifestyle changes and attending regular check-ups
Further information on weight loss surgery can be found on the NHS website page: www.nhs.uk/conditions/weight-loss-surgery/
What is your BMI?
To find out if you’re a healthy weight for your height, work out your body mass index (BMI) using the NHS BMI calculator. You will need to know your height and weight.
You can use your BMI result as a starting point for further discussion with your GP about your weight and general health. A body mass index (BMI) above the healthy weight range, or too much fat around your waist, can increase your risk of serious health problems like:
- heart disease
- type 2 diabetes
- certain types of cancer
For more information on losing weight, eating well and exercise visit the NHS Choices webpage https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/
Healthier families: https://www.nhs.uk/Change4Life/
NHS 12 week weight loss plan: https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-weight/start-the-nhs-weight-loss-plan/
For opportunities to be eat well and be more active in Doncaster visit Doncaster’s Public Health webpages http://www.doncaster.gov.uk/services/health-wellbeing/public-health
Diabetes UK: www.diabetes.org.uk
Move More Doncaster: http://www.movemoredoncaster.nhs.uk/
BDA Food Facts: https://www.bda.uk.com/foodfacts/home
For residents of the Bassetlaw area weight management support can be accessed through the Your Health Your Way service.
Your Health Your Way: https://yourhealthnotts.co.uk/sign-up/
Content out of date? Information wrong or not clear enough? Report this page.